Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

AfricaMoney | June 22, 2017

Scroll to top

Top

No Comments

Mauritus: Energy consumption up 2.4% in 2014 with transport netting largest share

Mauritus: Energy consumption up 2.4% in 2014 with transport netting largest share

Mauritius’ Energy and Water Statistics for 2014 show that the import bill for petroleum products and coal decreased by 10.8%, the two main energy-consuming sectors were transport and manufacturing, accounting for 50.9% and 23.6% respectively, while rainfall level went up 1.2% in 2014. (Image: blog.kpmgafrica.com)

The Economic and Social Indicators issue released by Statistics Mauritius, which presents Statistics on Energy and Water for the island economy for the years 2013 and 2014, indicated that the total primary energy requirement increased by 2.5% from 1,455 in 2013 to 1,492 thousand tonnes of oil equivalent (ktoe) in 2014.

Imported fuels comprising petroleum products and coal made up 86% of the total primary energy requirement in 2014, while the remaining 14% consisted of locally available sources namely bagasse, hydro, wind, landfill gas, photovoltaic and fuel wood.

The import bill of petroleum products and coal decreased by 10.8% from Rs 34,915 million in 2013 to Rs 31,146 million in 2014 and accounted for around 18% of the total imports bill supported by decreases in the average imports price.

Electricity generation went up by 1.8% in 2014 from 2,885 GWh in 2013 to 2,937 GWh, of which 80% was generated from non-renewable sources and 20% from renewable sources. Independent Power Producers produced around 60% of the total electricity generated and the Central Electricity Board produced the remaining 40%.

In 2014, coal was the major fuel used to produce electricity accounting for 53.8%, followed by fuel oil and bagasse, which comprised 25.9% and 20.1% respectively.

Sale of electricity increased by 2.9% and the average sales price remained at around Rs 6 per kWh, where the share of sale of commercial, domestic and industrial tariffs within total electricity sales in 2014 was 36%, 33% and 29% respectively and per capita consumption of electricity sold went up 2.7%.

Final energy consumption increased by 2.4% in 2014 and was mainly categorized into five sectors, namely, manufacturing, transport, commercial and distributive trade, households and agriculture.

The two main energy-consuming sectors were “Transport” and “Manufacturing”, accounting for 50.9% and 23.6% of the final energy consumed  respectively, followed by the household sector which accounted for 14.2%, commercial and distributive trade accounted for 10.4%, and agriculture stood at 0.5%.

Finally, the amount of rainfall recorded in the island of Mauritius went down by 1.5% from 2,126 mm in 2013 to 2,094 mm in 2014. Total volume of potable water treated by the different treatment plants went up by 5.5%  and the amount of revenue collectible from the sales of water for the year 2014 was Rs 1,365.0 million, representing an increase of 1.2% over the Rs 1,348.7 million collected in 2013.

 

 

 

 

Submit a Comment

Directory powered by Business Directory Plugin